Story Lab, Week 14


     For my Story Lab this week, I listened to a couple of TED Talks by Adichie and Barnes. The first 

talk by Adichie was vety eye-opening. She talked about how linear her view was literature was as a 

child. She never thought Nigerians like herself, or even poor people, could be represented in 

literature. 

     As she grew older, Adichie's views diversified and she began to experiment with different types 

of characters. This greatly enriched her storytelling abilities and made her stories all the more 

enjoyable. I think her growth is very inspiring. It makes me wonder if there are any other dimensions 

that I have yet to explore in my own writing. 

     The second presentation, by Barnes, was really intriguing. She talked about why we care so much 

about fictional characters. Basically, we alieve that they're real. Alief is different from belief. It's 

based on an impulsive subconscious feeling. This alief in the existence of fictional characters is what 

makes them so real to us. Barnes even mentioned how fictional characters can offer us just as much 

emotional support as our real peers. This made me realize how much my fictional writing can affect 

people.

Bibliography: TED Talks - YouTube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ethan Kahn Introduction

Week 12 Story: Meeting of the Pantheons